Sunday, July 09, 2006

The High Street Sexuality Test

Last night was Saturday night, and I put myself on a two-hour walking trip down from 5th Avenue, south to the Cap of restaurants that covers I-670, back north up to 15th Avenue, and then back down to 5th. As I walked the sidewalk and poked around a shop or two or three or four, I was walking past a lot of people, making eye contact with some people and avoiding eye contact with others.

Checking out the stock in the great gay bookshop An Open Book (685 N. High) made me pause and reflect. I had slept with about as many men as women in college, but hadn't really done so for a while. I've been with the same woman for over a decade now, in a steady monogamous relationship. At the same time, on the rare occasions I go, I find I feel at home in a gay bookstore or at a gay bar: I don't hit on anybody, and nobody hits on me. I just go there and feel kind of safe, which is a strange feeling for someone who's been in a relationship with a woman for so long.

With that in mind, I decided to do a little sexuality test as I walked up High street. I decided to (as subtlely as I could) check out men and women alike and pay attention to my reactions. The result: while looking at men was alright, it was kind of boring. Looking at women, on the other hand, I found it difficult to peel my eyes away. The shape, the curve of women's bodies just had a greater attraction to me.

So I guess that means I'm pretty straight now at this point in my life, which makes the comfort of being in gay-friendly places a bit of a mystery to me. If you have any insight into why this might be, I'd love to hear it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home